The Total Recycling Decommissioning (TRD) project builds upon the overall goal of the EIT Climate-KIC bringing together a dynamic community to build a zero-carbon economy and climate-resilient society. The project was developed in partnership between NTU, Port of Frederikshavn, Denmark’s Technical University, and Aarhus University. Together, these partners have come up with a solution that will allow for a 100% recycling and decommissioning of ships, thus creating a circular economy around ship recycling and decommissioning. By creating a network of accomplished partners, who are all well-established within the ship recycling and decommissioning industry, the project’s aim of being able to recycle and decommissioning a 100% of old ships is within reach. NTU undertook the project formulation that aimed at verifying the commercial and environmental viability of maximising the percentage of recyclable materials in ships decommissioning.
In particular, the main objectives of the formulation project were:
- to verify the commercial and environmental viability of ship and offshore equipment total recycling;
- to explore the composition of ships and offshore equipment industry and identify a customer base;
- to identify a framework for maximizing the elements and materials being recycled;
- to develop a methodology for the establishment of a strategic cluster of environmental companies utilizing the advantages of a total ship decommissioning facility.
Port of Frederikshavn – strategic location that provides surplus of ships and offshore facilities to be decommissioned at the facility
How we did it
For the realisation of the above-mentioned objectives, NTU carried out the following activities:
- Financial, social and environmental pre-feasibility study of the ship and offshore equipment total recycling;
- Development and documentation of an innovative business model for the ship and offshore equipment total recycling;
- Investigate the composition of ships and offshore equipment, the materials which are mostly recycled, the ones which cannot be and to establish supply agreements with maritime and offshore equipment operators;
- Develop innovative recycling agreements on products and residues with industry players and develop a framework for the establishment of a strategic cluster of environmental companies around the port of Frederikshavn.