The overall objective of Tempus IV (2012-2013) was to contribute to an area of cooperation in the field of higher education involving the European Union and partner countries in the surrounding area. In particular, the programme aimed to promote voluntary convergence with EU developments in the field of higher education deriving from the Lisbon agenda and the Bologna process.
The specific objectives of the Tempus programme were:
- To promote the reform and modernisation of higher education in the partner countries;
- To enhance the quality and relevance of higher education in the partner countries;
- To build up the capacity of higher education institutions in the partner countries and to assist them in opening themselves up to society and the world;
- To foster the development of human resources;
- To enhance mutual understanding between peoples and cultures of the EU and the partner countries;
- To promote cooperation and networking within the regions covered by the programme.
The purpose of NTU assignment was to carry out a mid-term evaluation of Tempus IV in order to determine to what extent the programme was achieving its objectives.