How we did it
For this project, NTU provided technical assistance, among others in the railway sector, and contributed to the establishment of an independent and fully operational Railway Directorate. NTU experts, first, carried out an assessment of institutional and organizational situation and capacities to address the gaps and weaknesses. Subsequently, the Railway Directorate’s mission, staffing and above all, its role (as an entity developing and managing economic and safety regulations as well as supervising and ensuring the overall development of the railway sector) were clearly defined.
NTU’s efforts also targeted capacity-building, the training of staff in relation to the performance of their tasks in line with EU practice as well as safety issues and the development of a ‘blame-free culture’ in accident investigation. The latter was especially important in investigating the causes of accidents in order to take all necessary measures to avoid the repetition of errors.
The work of NTU within this project supported the improvement of the railway sector governance in Montenegro thanks to:
- An established Railway Directorate, with well-defined role, missions, and staffing, as well as proposals to organise efficiently the institution
- Trained Railways Directorate staff, as well as members of different railway companies on EU institutions and railway safety organisation
- Drafted legal acts for the railway sector
- Support on financial consolidation of the railway system in Montenegro
- Developed training materials on contracts, planning and regulatory issues