The overall objective of the project is to contribute to poverty reduction and accelerated and inclusive economic growth through a more sustainable and efficient transport sector.
The purpose of this contract is to support Kenyan authorities in improving the governance and technical skills in the transport sector to develop a more efficient and safe transport system for increased productivity and reduced negative impacts on environment and the climate.
The results to be achieved by the Contractor through this contract are:
- Result 1: support to main public stakeholders of the Kenyan transport sector to improve the sector governance as well as the planning, legal and regulation framework of the sector;
- Result 2: support to the Kenyan transport stakeholders to improve technical skills in priority areas;
- Result 3: support to the urban mobility sub sector stakeholders to improve the institutional framework of the sub sector, technical skills specific to the sub-sector, with a specific focus on transport modelling, and to allow successful implementation of the Bus Rapid Transit System.
The assignment will be achieved by four types of support, all to be generated on a demand-driven basis subject to the conditions for supervision and steering of the contract. These four types of support are:
- Technical assistance, a combination of short-term and long-term experts input, to be structured and managed by the coordinator;
- On the job trainings and organization and implementation of training courses, workshops and seminars to transfer ownership, understanding and compliance with the above;
- Production of documents such as harmonised manuals, guidelines, protocols, procedures etc.;
- Support to the development of a multimodal transport model for Nairobi Metropolitan area.
The operational base of the contract will be Nairobi.
The period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months and the intended start date is April 2017.
The project budget is 4 000 000 EUR.